IS YOUR WEBSITE THE NORTH STAR - OR A BLACK HOLE?
According to Netcraft, a UK research company, as of August, 2016 their web server survey indicates that there are 1.285 billion sites and 6.1 million web facing computers world wide. To help put this in context, Dorret Hoffleit of Yale University has determined that there are 9,096 stars visible to the naked eye in both hemispheres combined. To get a visual reference to how big 1.285 billion is, take a photo of the night sky (both hemispheres) and superimpose it onto itself 141,270 times.
Does that make your company website seem a bit small?
THERE ARE TWO BASIC WEBSITES IN THE WORLD - THE ONES THAT WORK AND THE ONES THAT DON'T
A website that works is simply one that can be found. It takes a great deal of skill and experience to develop a website that stands out from the rest. There is no single "magic bullet" to making your website successful, there are many things to consider.
- Design: The site must be designed to be user friendly.
- Code: Your site must conform to the latest acceptable standards in code.
- Content: Your content must be unique and of value.
- Search Engine Friendly: Your site must comply to the standards of the search engines in order to be accurately indexed. Stray from that path and you will suffer ranking penalties that may even include being banned.
PARTIAL ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
Your best bet is to hire a professional web developer, such as Mid Minnesota Marketing, to assure your website is properly built. Over the past 12 years I have worked with many companies that have tried to go the do-it-yourself route. I have noted a few things over that time:
- The low cost, do-it-yourself service provider's concept of "easy" does not meet the expectations of the average user.
- Above average users may be able to put together a design that looks pleasing, but it lacks usability and effectiveness.
- The majority of people who do manage publish a site have little or no concept of how to make the site work for both the viewer and search engine.
- The viewer must find the site useful and the search engine must be able to accurately index the site.
- The appeal to the "easy" solution is always the apparent low cost. However, there are a couple of ways they make up for the "savings" offered upfront.
- They suggest to frustrated subscribers that they can build the site for them, for an additional fee.
- After the basic site is built they begin to offer additional services. The site is built, but how will anyone find it? They offer to sell you optimization services, enhanced content, etc, etc, etc.
ARE YOU READY TO STEP UP YOUR WEB PRESENCE?
If you are ready to step up to the next level with your website, call Mid Minnesota Marketing today for an appointment. 320-582-2288.